Thursday, December 17, 2009

I Get It Now.

I revisited an old favorite recently: Bringing Up Boys. I encountered once again some of the quotes that I had starred and underlined, years ago.

"Boys are bent on making messes,
teasing the other siblings,
racing through the house,
and challenging every decision and order that comes their way."
~
"Women are often shocked by the pure sheer physicality of boys -
by the sights and sounds and smells they generate."
~
"Moms need to keep boy's little minds and hands busy.
It's in their best interest to do so."
~
And my favorite, from Dobson's own parents:
"If you let that boy get bored, you deserve what he's going to do to you!"
~

Here's the thing: I bought this book when Tucker was still in infancy, so I read with naive anticipation of what was to come, as I prayed to understand my swaddled, sweet, quiet newborn. I starred, underlined, and highlighted these words of wisdom in hopes that I would remember them someday when I needed them, but I couldn't really imagine them.

Now, years later, I get these words. Instead of a heed for action, I see them as recognition of my daily life. In fact, today I feel encouraged to find that someone understands why we must go somewhere every day, why I seem to have a small panic attack if there is an hour unplanned, and why I carry an entire bag of entertainment with me always.

If I let them get bored, who knows what they will do? To each other, to our home, and to their blessed mother?

I get it now. In a whole new way.

(And in five years, I'm sure these words will mean something entirely different to me.)

(And another ten years after that.)

No comments: