Friday, September 28, 2007

Encouragement, from Mom to Mom

Tucker was really trying my patience today. He is really very masterful with a fork and spoon; so much so, that he has now decided to get creative with them.

When he eats with his spoon, he has begun to turn it upside down just before he puts it in his mouth. As you would expect, the pudding, applesauce, or yogurt spills right off the spoon and down the front of him, onto the table and his lap. It hardly matters that he's wearing a bib.

I was going through multiple napkins, cleaning this up again and again. I took the spoon away and modeled how to use it, although he already knows. He took a few bites the right way, but before very long at all, he was back to flipping it over, and I was back to cleaning it up.

Feeling very exasperated, I said to my mom, "Would you please pray and ask God to give me more patience than I have?"

"Yes," she said, "but let me just tell you from experience that if He doesn't, you're still a good mom."

No comments: