Wednesday, May 20, 2009

For the Little Things

Tucker and I have a new game we play in the car, to keep the sleepies away when I need for him to stay awake for just a bit longer. We play The Thankful Game.

I name something I'm thankful for, and then he does the same. Back and forth we go. Tyler jumps in now and then, but he is always and forever simply thankful for Bug Eyes (a nose-to-nose giggling game he plays with my mom).

Tuck and I take our turns, and I love to see where his mind travels.

Today, Tuck's list was profound. He was thankful for (or as he says, "fanktul for"):

The road
Minnie Mouse
Seatbelts
Carseats
Friends
Brothers
Sunshine
Clouds
Daisy Duck
Teachers
Singing
Reece
Lunch
Daddy
Airplanes
Signs
Swimming Pools
Sandboxes
Chocolate Milk
and Band-Aids.

A few times, Tyler was thankful for Bug Eyes.

And yesterday, I was thankful for sunshine, sunblock, a kiddie pool, splashing, pouring, and exploring. Oh, and Tyler, who discovered the joy of hopping out of the pool every few minutes to plant a kiss in the palm of my hand.

And I am always thankful for naptime. Always.

And I am thankful for little boys with a thankful heart, laughter in the backseat, and reprieves between tantrums. Everybody needs a break, now and then.

And a special nod to Band-Aids. I'm with you there, kiddo.

No comments: