Thursday, January 5, 2012

Backward Encouragement

Ice skating is our new hobby.  We love it.  And I promise you, a couple of times now I didn't even have to lace up my own skates - they were on their own.  With some ups and downs, naturally.

But, I happen to know that everything is a little more fun when someone wants to do it with you, so sometimes I join them.

"Ha-ha, Tucker's falling down more than me-ee."  Tyler says this in that teasing, sing-song voice that seems to be innate to the four-year-old learning curve.

"Tyler, in our family, we are kind and encouraging."

"What is encouraging?"

"It means you say something nice, like good job."

"And what if I'm not encouraging?"

"Then you can hurt someone's feelings."

"I can hurt their heart?"

"Yes." 

"And what if I'm not encouraging to myself?"

"Then you can hurt your own heart."

He looks down at the zipper of his snowpants.  "Sorry, heart."

"So, I say, 'good job?'  That's encouraging?"

"Yes.  That's a great start."

"Okay."  Pause for thinking.  "Tuck, you are really good at falling down.  A lot."

8 comments:

Kristen said...

I love this so much.

I need to tuck this line about encouragement away for when I have my own kids.

Honeycutt Family said...

Ha! Kids are just too darn funny sometimes! :)

Laura said...

First time commenter, and I gotta say this:
"Bah duh, ching!" (like a drum set with cymbals!)

SO funny! That could make some good TV for sure!

Alyssa said...

Cute! Cute, cute. :) I meant you once, Tricia, at Alli's book club. I've been reading this blog ever since. And, oddly enough, I miss you terribly.

Patty Kline said...

That's so funny! Good job at trying to figure out how to do this encouragement thing, Tyler!

Janet said...

He meant well! So funny!

For1andOnly said...

Wow, so cute and adorable. I laughed so hard when I read this!

For1andOnly said...

Wow, so cute and adorable. I laughed so hard when I read this!