Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Meat in Heaven

"Mommy, is there meat in heaven?"

"Yes, I think there probably is."  Probably.  I'm not really sure.  I instantly think of a dozen arguments either way.

"Will we eat?" 

"Yes, all the best foods.  The Bible talks a lot about the dinner parties.  They're so great in heaven."

"Is there poop?"

"No, I don't think so."  I do think the whole idea of waste management in general is a product of the fall.

"Does Daddy have any clothes to wear?  Because he left them all here.  Like that red shirt that he wore when he died.  I liked that shirt."

He was wearing a red shirt.  I remember this, too.

"I bet Jesus had all new clothes for him, buddy."

"When will I die?"

"Probably not until you're a very old man."

"Like Poppa?" 

"Even older than Poppa."  Tyler's eyes grow wide with wonder.  Even older than Poppa.

"I don't think Daddy will remember me."

My heart catches.  I have worried that the boys wouldn't remember Robb; I had not thought to worry about their worries that he wouldn't remember them.  The worries multiply at an astounding rate.

"Oh, Tyler, yes.  Yes, he will remember you.  No matter how old you are, no matter how old he is, as soon as he sees you, he'll know you.  You're his boy."

Tyler smiles his bashful smile, the one that says, I don't really want you to know how happy that made me just now.

"Will I get to do whatever I want in heaven?"

"Well, the good news is that you'll only want to do what God wants you to do, so yes, you'll be allowed to do anything you want."

He smiles bigger.  This place sounds better and better and better.

3 comments:

Gwen said...

I think it's a beautiful thing that you are recording all of this for your boys. It will be a treasure in the years to come. You are one smart momma :) Take care

Jamie Gerdes said...

I loved this, and even shed a fear tears. You answered all the questions so perfectly. My 5 1/2 year old son lost his Papa a few years ago. He has asked us several questions about heaven ever since, and I just love that he is excited about such a beautiful place. You write so beautifully. God Bless.

IronSanta said...

Tricia,
I saw the article in 5280 last night. It touched me deeply as my wife passed away in an auto accident October 31, 2010. Our youngest son Parker was in the car with her and sustained major injuries. He is paralyzed from the sternum (lower chest)down but is doing very well due to his indomitable spirit. I wish you all the blessings that God can give in your progress toward "normalcy". I wish I could share with you and maybe commiserate a bit. It helps me a lot to express how much I love my wife and miss her to people that are willing to listen and put up with my tears. Like you, I also find it healing to write about her but I know it will never make the pain go away. I don't really want it to, not completely anyway because I feel like I might lose some of the love I have for her that way. Anyway, God bless you and your family.

Rick in Denver