Friday, January 16, 2009

Be Not Discouraged?

On a playdate this morning, I met my friend at her door and said, "And while they play, I am here to get the scoop on potty training."

With a blank stare, she said, "Are you kidding me?? If you know it, tell me."

Her boy is a full year older than Tucker, and they have been battling this for an entire year. And he's still in Pull-Ups and not getting the trick. (In fact, Tucker is a little ahead.)

*****

Yesterday, a fellow mom said, "Let me say this to encourage you: I know a family whose son really struggled and rebelled against the process, and he was still in diapers when he was five."

"Which part of that is supposed to encourage me??"

"Well, I just want you to know that you're not doing anything wrong. The problem isn't you. But on second thought, I guess maybe that story isn't very encouraging."

Not especially, no. (But we did laugh over the misguided notion that it would be.)

*****

This month's issue of Parenting magazine arrived today. The cover boasts this headline:
"Potty Pros: Parents are Outsourcing."

I don't blame them. I may join them.

No comments: