Friday, December 9, 2011

Distinguished

Andre Malreaux remarks in his Anti-Memoirs that one day we will realize that we are distinguished as much from each other by the forms our memories take as by our characters. 

I am wondering what form my memory is taking.  It seems that this depends a great deal on myself.

I have little to say about events, good or bad, creative or destructive, but much about the way I remember them - that is, the way I start giving them form in the story of my life.  I am starting to see how important this is in my day-to-day living.

I often say to myself:

"How will I remember this day,
this disappointment,
this conflict,
this misunderstanding,
this sense of accomplishment, joy and satisfaction?
How will they function in my ongoing task of self-interpretation?"

~ Henri Nouwen,  
The Genesee Diary

No comments: