Saturday, January 5, 2008

My-Very-Own Crescent Roll Calzones

I happened on to this concoction rather by accident... I meant to make my cousin Samantha's pepperoni rolls, but I had accidentally bought a french loaf, rather than frozen bread dough. Silly me... what could have possibly distracted me in the grocery store?? (See post: Attention King Soopers Customers.)

At any rate, the french loaf would not roll out to contain any pepperoni, so I got creative and went with the crescent rolls in my refrigerator instead. Let me just say this: Yum-o. It has become a family favorite, and we love it. It's not all together creative, but it is all together outstanding, if I do say so myself.

This might be my ticket into the Pillsbury Bake-Off after all.

Crescent Roll Calzone
Ingredients:
1 roll crescent rolls
1 (3 oz.) pkg pepperoni
2 C mozzarella cheese
2 T olive oil
2 T italian seasoning
1 jar spaghetti sauce
Unroll crescent rolls onto a baking sheet. Spread a layer of mozzarella cheese, topped with pepperoni. Roll up, and pinch the ends closed.
(It's a little tricky to keep the crescent rolls from coming apart at the perforations, but do your best.)
Place seam side down on baking sheet.
Brush olive oil over the top of the calzone. Sprinkle italian seasonings over all.
Bake at 350 for 25 minutes, or until golden brown.
Serve with spaghetti sauce for dipping.
Like I said: Yum-o.

2 comments:

Nicole said...

I really think you could throw those ingredients in the oven blindfolded and come out with something just delicously sinful because my love of sauce, cheese & bread knows no bounds.

But YOU conveniently packaged them in a crescent roll and they sound delish!

Robin said...

That does sound awesome. I make a similar one that you actually do use the french loaf for - it's a ham and cheese strombolli. I agree with Nicole - anything involving bread and cheese is a sure winner!