Monday, August 11, 2008

Dokes?

Tucker: "Mommy. Mommy. Mommy. Mommy. Dokes."

Hmmm. Dokes. What are dokes? What is he asking for?

Me: "What, buddy? Dokes?"

Tucker: "No, no dokes. Dokes."

This happens frequently. He declares a word that seems nonsensical to me, but it is of great importance to him. And I guess, speculate, interpret, and dance around the word to give it my best shot at translation, while he says the same thing again and again. With greater and great emphasis.

Me: "Dokes. Hmm. Dokes. I'm not sure, kiddo."

Tucker: "No. NO DOKES. Dokes. Dokes, Mommy."

Still nothing. I do not know what he wants, but he wants it.

Tucker (thinking hard): "Hmmmm. Woof. Woof."

Me: "Oh!! Dogs!! You want to watch the Sesame Street movie about dogs??"

Tucker: "YES!"

Ding-Ding-Ding! She got it, ladies and gentlemen! Congratulations to Mommy!

And a gold star for Tucker, for reaching into his mental thesaurus to utilize a different word that means the same thing in the language he and I use together.

Good work, kiddo.

No comments: