Saturday, August 23, 2008

Writing in my Sleep

I woke up in the middle of the night... awakened by the realization that I had seven ideas floating around in my head. Two things to tell a friend, two quotes to write down, one gift idea, and two brainstorms for writing topics.

I found myself lying awake, trying to hold on to the string of each trailing thought. I kept running through my mental list, making sure they were all still there. Yep. All seven.

No, wait. Only six. What was that other one??

I finally got up, grabbed a pen, and scrawled them down. Finally, I could go back to sleep with the knowledge that I had secured those thoughts somewhere outside my head.

My twilight handwriting wasn't so bad, in this morning's assessment. But also by the light of day, those ideas were still good and worth remembering.

I think I should keep that pen and paper by my bed. I need the sleep I can get, but I also need to hold onto those seeds of thought, just in case they could grow into something great.

Turns out, I write in my sleep.

*****


If I fall asleep with a pen in my hand,
don't remove it - I might be writing in my dreams.
~Danzae Pace

*****


I keep little notepads all over the place to write down ideas as soon as they strike,

but the ones that fill up the quickest are always the ones at my nightstand.

~Emily Logan Decens

No comments: