Saturday, December 27, 2008

What Do I Love Most?

It's impossible to know. The entire Christmas celebration is filled with so many moments that are so beyond words, and it's impossible to choose my favorite.

There's the night before, on Christmas Eve, when my little elves are dressed and ready to go to church. There's the worship, the carols, the Merry Christmas greetings... the anticipation is mounting, and everything is about to begin.


But then there is the arrival home after church, and the discovery that Santa made a stop by our house before he flew around the world. And everybody gets new jammies. They burst into their presents before they take off their ties and shiny shoes. That's a pretty sweet moment.



And then there's the quiet hour, when Santa has come and gone, and all we can do is wait for morning to arrive. I have loved that my whole life.
But I also love that first rush down the stairs, the realization that Santa came, but he also came through. When what they wanted most is right there, begging to be played with. I love the sleepy little faces.

Unless the sleepy face is mine. I should stay behind the camera on such early mornings.
I love the books with Mommy and the batteries with Daddy. I love the laps and the snuggles and the thank you's and the "Look Tozzer!" and the "It's my favorite."




I love when they toys are so new and the joy is so fresh that there is no room for arguing.
They just play... together.


And then there's these.
I always love these.


I love little faces stained with frosting.



And I love the moments when I can't tell who is happier: my children, their grandparents, my husband, or me. When there is so much love that I can almost hold it in my hands.
And then there is the blessed hour, at the end of the day. There's the time when we've opened our gifts, we've played with our toys, we've eaten our fill, and we've laughed, and laughed, and laughed. And my sweet babies go to sleep, finally.
It's really hard to know what I love the most.
Merry Christmas.
I hope you are overwhelmed with favorites.

No comments: