Thursday, December 11, 2008

Why Do I Blog?

For so many reasons...

... because I have friends and family all over the place, and I want them to know this side of me and the daily stuff that is Tucker and Tyler.

... because the tenderness of everyday could get lost in the tyranny of the tasks. I don't want to lose this.

... because I think you might want to read it.
... because it feels productive. I keep my blogging list of topics throughout the day: sometimes in my ever-faithful notebook who is my constant companion, sometimes on a transient post-it, sometimes on a napkin. (But never on my hand.) And then I capture it (or release it?) in the few minutes to myself. And I can cross it off my list. I did that today.
... because I have to. I'm a writer. I've finally learned the merits of calling myself one, published or not. I'm a writer. A writer must write.

... because sometimes, this is the most alive moment of my day: when my fingernails are clicking furiously on the keyboard, and I can't write fast enough. When the ideas in my head collide so fiercely that I have to type faster just to sort them out, when the words string together on their own, and a mess of eclectic beads has grown into a necklace... a rather beautiful one that I really want to wear. Right now.

It's 1:57 AM. I woke up because I had to write.
Hello, blog. I have missed you, old friend.

No comments: