Saturday, December 6, 2008

When Mommy is Working...

(Warning: This is a Humbling Blog Post. Read on only if you can still think highly of me and without judgment. Oh, and if you want to know that I am real and flawed.)

I haven't blogged in a while. It's true. It's finals week, which means that I am spending lots and lots and LOTS of time editing for graduate students. I sure spend a lot of time studying syllabi, writing assignments, research topics, and meeting deadlines... especially for a girl who isn't in grad school. (Not yet anyway. Someday. Stay tuned on that goal.)

Most of my editing happens between 9:30 PM and 2:00 AM, since I really can't do it when my children are awake. Well, I can, but it's just not wise.

For example, I accepted one assignment at an unruly hour, which meant I had to stay up late and get up early to do it while the boys were asleep... and then they woke up before I finished. So, um, well, it went something like this...

(I sent this video to my friend Sara, in a moment of pure exasperation and the desperate wish for affirmation and sympathy... you'll hear my commentary to her.)


It became a Press Play Day. Or, more accurately, Lord of the Flies in my Living Room.

It is fair to say that these days are not my finest hour as a mom. Nope. Not good. I'm impatient, I'm scattered, I'm forgetful, and my children know it. (Let there be no question of pride in this blog post... this is the dirty laundry. Airing.)

But, my boys are clean and fed. And they are resilient.

In the meantime, I'm editing like a mad woman. I can spot a comma splice at a hundred yards. Bring on the fragments, run-ons, gerrands, and passive voice.

I'm the girl for the job. Just don't ask me to do it in a tidy house.

No comments: