Thursday, August 11, 2011

But what about Second Grade?

There is a true and honest honeymoon that comes with the start of a new school year. I know it well; we are long time acquaintances.

Tucker is hooked on all things kindergarten. I put a happy little note in his lunchbox:

I love you, Tucker. XOXO.

When he brought his lunchbox home, he showed me the note he thought his teacher put in there for him. "Look, Mommy, she loves me."

She does, buddy. And so do I. And to be clear, that's my handwriting. There are some things I'm willing to share the credit for, but it turns out I hold the current status for putting a love note in his lunchbox. ;)

Tucker comes home talking a mile-a-minute. He tells me about his friends, about recess(es), about the numbers he wrote, about who had a good day or a whiny day, and all about what he ate first, second, and last at lunchtime.

At the end of his second day, he said, "I do really like kindergarten. But I'm a little worried about second grade."

"Why, kiddo?"

"I don't think I'll be able to read those signs they have in second grade."

"Well, we don't have to think about that yet. You can settle into kindergarten and do your best, and by the time you're in second grade, I know you'll be ready. But we don't have to worry about it yet."

"But why shouldn't I worry about it? I want to talk about it."

That's so, so, so his daddy. That is quintessential Robb, the attitude that says, "I feel like I have a pretty good handle on where I am right now, but I see something looming ahead that might be a bit of a curve ball. I'd like to know what I can do today to be ready for that milestone."

That's the heart of the man who installed the infant carseat when I was still in my second trimester. Preparation today makes for success tomorrow.

I am raising his son. Well on his way to list making, preparedness, and thorough thinking.

So, we talked about it. Because I loved his dad well, and I learned that sometimes it's just good to talk about things that still might be a few years away.

1 comment:

Kerri said...

I'm still smiling about "Tucker comes home talking a mile a minute."
Tucker. Talking. _A mile a minute_. He will love knowing that, having achieved _that_, the signs in second grade are going to be cake :). (Don't tell him it's the girls he really needs to be worried about...)