Friday, August 12, 2011

Recognizable

"Two people whose opinion I respect told me that the word 'Christian' would turn people off. This certainly says something about the state of Christianity today.

I wouldn't mind if to be a Christian were accepted as being the dangerous thing which it is;

I wouldn't mind if, when a group of Christians meet for bread and wine, we might well be interrupted and jailed for subversive activities;

I wouldn't mind if, once again, we were being thrown to the lions.

I do mind, desperately, that the word 'Christian' means for so many people smugness, and piosity, and holier-than-thouness.

Who, today, can recognize a Christian because of of 'how Christians love one another?' "

~ Madeleine L'Engle

(I know. I quote her a lot. I can't help myself.)

1 comment:

Terry said...

dear tricia...i am so excited..i loved your quote here so much that i decided to google and see what mrs. d'engle was all about and guess what tricia?...she has online books that you can read right on your computer!
oh and they look so good!
thank you tricia...see all the blessing your blog is doing and all of the love that it is spreading all around...god bless you!...love terry